Bakit second-hand books?
Hi! Ako po ay isang Booksale tambay. Most probably, nag-agawan or nagkabungguan na tayo kung tambay ka din sa Booksale ng SM Megamall, Market Market! or sa SM North. Yung iba baka nagtatanong, ‘Bakit second hand books? Meron naman ako pambili ng bago’. Personally, I buy second hand books not only because it’s cheaper, but because it’s also good for the environment (did you know that 30 million trees are cut down annually for the books sold in the US alone?). Once in a while, you’ll also find unexpected treasures hidden between the book’s pages.
‘Hindi naman lahat ng libro makikita sa mga second hand bookstores.’
‘Bakit puro Danielle Steel naman?’
‘Ang traffic! Sayang ang oras.’
‘Sakit na ng paa ko kakaikot, wala naman yung gusto kong bilhin.’
‘I have money. I can buy you, your friends, and all these books.’ (Lol.)
Gets ko din kayo dyan, guys. Those exact sentiments set off my great search for second-hand books online. Hindi ito sales pitch ah pero kasi by shopping online, you get to choose from a wider and sometimes, even better selection of books without leaving the comforts of your own home. Obviously, there are also downsides to it. Aside from the added cost of shipping, hindi mo din makikita yung actual condition ng libro. You just have to rely on the book seller’s description, assuming that they are being honest about it.
Thus, this series. Ang plano, oorder ako ng second-hand book(s) sa featured store of the week (or the month) tapos i-kwento ko how it went (pricing, ordering process, book categories etc.). The goal is to give you an idea how these online bookstores operate and what you can expect from each store. Ok ba? Let’s begin with the first featured shop!
Featured Online Bookstore
The store carries both new and second-hand books from science fiction to art and fashion design (please check their site for the complete list). They also sell notebooks and even gift certificates.
I like that there is a ready section for all the books on discount. Sa mga araw na tag-tipid tayo, alam na agad natin na Clearance category lang ang dapat tingnan. Gusto ko lang din i-highlight na meron silang Signed, Rare, and Limited Edition Books. Kung hardcore book collector ka, you might want to check that out. The price of books under this category ranges from P400 to P25,000 (The Kite Runner 1st Edition). Don’t get intimidated though, maraming categories for all sorts of readers. As for myself, I checked their Contemporary, Modern titles and I’m quite impressed. Meron silang titles na wala sa usual second-hand bookstores and kung meron man sa major bookstores, either palaging out of stock or sobrang mahal pa.
Aside from the signed, rare, and limited edition titles, the average price range is from P200 to P300.
Kagaya sa Booksale, majority nung mga libro 1 stock per title lang. Naka-display din sa details nung libro kung meron pa or out of stock na yung title.
Sa product details makikita kung ano yung condition nung libro. For used books, mas mahal ng kaunti yung libro kapag mukhang bago pa or kung minimal defects lang.
They accept payments thru Bank Deposit/Transfers, G-Cash, and Paypal. I paid using BPI’s mobile bank transfer.
They use Gryffon, Grab Express, 2GO, and LBC. Yung shipping fee depende kung anong courier and kung saan mo ipapa-deliver. For my books, I chose Gryffon kasi P60 lang ang shipping fee kapag within Metro Manila.
- The books were securely wrapped with paper then covered with a slightly thicker carton/cardboard
- Plus points for re-using old magazine pages and carton boxes
- Maayos ko na-receive yung books, wala naman packing or shipping damage
Ito yung mga steps na ginawa ko to submit the order:
- Check the book(s) you want to buy then add to cart
- Fill out the order form, choose payment, and delivery options
- Kung successful yung pag-order, meron dapat kayong mare-receive na email notification from their sales team
- Once ma-confirm na valid yung order ninyo and wala namang issues with the books, only then will they provide the payment instructions (account number, G-cash details etc..)
For my case, I used BPI’s mobile bank transfer to pay for the books. Nag-direct transfer lang ako sa account number na binigay nila then I emailed them a screenshot of the confirmation page. They were able to confirm my payment within the day tapos I received the books after 2 business days.
- Nagustuhan ko talaga yung range ng categories and genres na available. Not to point faults, but most of the second-hand bookstores in Facebook and Instagram tend to focus on the more popular authors and titles only.
- Maganda din na meron silang rewards points system. For my purchase, I earned 40 gems which I can redeem on my next purchase (100 gems = P10).
- Medyo namahalan ako sa ibang libro, to be honest. But then again, most of these books I don’t normally see in the usual second-hand bookstores.
- As for the book conditions, tama lang dun sa description na nakalagay sa book details. No page tears and stains, and you can tell that the books were cared for.
Did I miss anything? May gusto ba kayo idagdag sa ating feature checklist? Nakapag-order na din ba kayo sa Avalon.ph before? How was it?
The goal of this series is to help you find good books for less (Oops, tambay din pala ako ng Books for Less dyan sa RCBC Plaza) so please let me know if you have bookstore suggestions, online man or hindi. Lastly, I hope that you’ll enjoy this little review/feature as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Keep reading, guys! The world needs readers and thinkers.
PS: This is not a sponsored post.
Categories: TWL - Used Books Stores